Pages

Thursday 30 June 2011

500px

There seems to have been a shift lately from Flickr over to 500px so I have been checking it out.

The main complaint with Flickr seems to have come from those photographers who I suppose are raising there game and who have shots that are very professional and aren't overly keen on having there work share the stage with us fumbling amateurs...one quoted that Flickr was a general dumping ground. But then aren't they forgetting that it was there dumping ground too in the beginning.

So as I said I went over and had a look and what I have seen is more professional and yes the standard of photography is high...but its also quite cold, less friendly and to be honest slightly more intimidating.

Perhaps there comes a time when as we grow as photographers we outgrow Flickr, we start to see ourselves as A list and want to hang with the other A listers...only time will tell but for now I will stick with Flickr.

1 comment:

  1. Linda, it's been awhile since I've visited your blog. You dropped off my radar for a bit and I'm glad I came looking for you today. So much beauty here...
    I agree that there are some major differences in the feel of 500px and flickr. Flickr holds a very special place in my heart, as it helped me get through a difficult phase as it sounds like it has done for you. When I remember back on the beginning of my time there though, it was very quiet and it took some time to build relationships. I think it is the same with 500px. It just takes time. Almost like being the underclassman all over again. But there is great inspiration there, and there are warm souls to be found. Quite a few of them. I am there too...though I find it hard to tear my heart away from flickr and still prefer to spend the bulk of my time there. There is an unpaid version you could try for awhile if you ever wanted to. Your photographs would look stunning there, if nothing else. And truly, when you move to a place outside your comfort zone, it forces growth where you might otherwise become stagnant. It does that for me, for sure. It's a challenge and I do appreciate that.
    Great post...as are the several on this page that I read. Keep up the good work, and I am going to add you to my blogroll so I remember to visit you more often.

    ReplyDelete